Sunday, April 21, 2019

Art is Love

Art School Surprises

Art is Love

As you can see by my shirt; Art is Love. Photo by Junior Talbot. I am now in my 5th year of art school. This Fall I will start my 6th year and plan to graduate with my BFA in Dec. Obviously, I am a little bit older than most students. There are a few older than me at UofSC but they are in the Graduate school or a PhD program. 

As I contemplate the future and attending graduate school, I remain hopelessly optimistic that the art world may eventually be as well-liked and as well funded as football is in my school. (in my community, my state and nation) Granted most artists at least most visual artists (and musicians) are often portrayed as a bit eccentric, odd and somewhat strange. That may be true for some, but there are artists that are simply highly imaginative people. I like to think I am in that category. 

It's funny, looking back,  I had a big fear about going to art school. I was concerned that I would lose my style. Now I know I haven't lost my style, I have just enhanced it to be more in tune with the Elements of Design and with Albers Color Theory. I wish I could say perspective as well... but I do still have trouble with it as well as foreshortening. (which is like when a person has their tubular arm going straight out and then the arm and hand hanging down, like when someone has their arm being supported by the top of the bench (or chair)  then from the elbow have the arm going flat down or to have the arm extended straight out from the elbow. All very difficult.

Now, we have just a few days left in some classes and until May 1st and then two finals on May 3rd in other classes. to turn in all completed projects. I have a lot to get down in the next week or plus completing an in depth paper on Isa Genzken, putting it in a Powerpoint. I also have to have in progress work shots for the powerpoint, slide show or iMovie to present for ARTS519 final class Friday April 26. That is not much time for all I have to do. 

Time to get to work... post pics later!!

No comments: