Sunday, November 13, 2011

Neuro-Chemical Breakdown Art Show Review


Anima Jung was the genius behind the unique one night art show held Nov. 12th, 2011 at the Conundrum Music Hall in W Columbia, SC. The premise was there are 8 basic human emotions and 9 artists were each assigned an emotion. We had to keep it secret about which emotion we were assigned, but now the cat is out of the bag. The emotion I was assigned was "Disgust". Those of you that follow my art know my art work is mostly about music, peace, love, flowers, joy, and lively colors. Being a very positive person, at first, I was not happy to be assigned a negative emotion. I knew I would have to make art specifically for the show and thought okay, this is going to take me out of my comfort zone. I spent hours of research online, reading disgusting news, looking at disgusting images and reading what the word "disgust" actually meant. Everyday as I rode all over the state of SC, I thought about what it meant to me.

I started a lot of little projects, one was cutting out news stories that I found to be disgusting and making a handmade book. For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to paint something disgusting so decided to do other artsy things. I sculpted a mask with a digusted look. I cut three wholes in the chin and was going to hang other pieces of clay from it but then opted to make it into a key holder, I attached three brass rings, for the keys to hang on.

The show featured art by Michael Krejewski, Brian Barr, Brian Pyle, Tennyson, Lisa Gray, Allan O'Mudd, Jean Bourque, Cedric Umoja and Mustafa. Each artist explored an emotion. The art show was mainly paintings and they were all wonderful works of art. Tennyson created several shadow box wall hangings, Mustafa showed photography in which Anima the creator of the show was his subject. They were very well done. In addition to three painting jean made a clay mask and a recycled road trash wall hanging. Lighting was provided by RJ Foley and Keith Bates.

The show was for one night only. We all talked about the emotions we were assigned and agreed it was a challenge. Photos here by Keith Bates.

No comments: