Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Pair of Jeans; Painting on the Back Porch

What fun it is to get together with other artists hang out and paint together. We always have a great time. This week it was Jean Ehler and myself Jean Bourque. Many of you know Jean Ehler paints realistically and I paint in the very abstract; most of the time. We got together and painted on my back porch. It was like 105 degrees out but under the porch we had shade and occasionally a burst of a/c from opening the door to let my two puppies in and out of the house.
*
I worked in acrylics and pastels on several different canvases. I often work on several at a time. It's like one feeds the other. I also do a lot of dripping, spraying and watering so I often need to let one dry a bit in the sun to capture an effect. If it rains while it is outside; that's even better (sometimes) because it creates a unique design that cannot be duplicated. I love the idea of one of a kind and creating something that never existed. It's a powerful sensation. My color scheme was perhaps more monochrome than is typical working in burnt sienna and yellow ochre.
*
Much to my surprise Jean Ehler was working in bright colors like fuchsia and purples which she custom mixed in oil paints on her palette. Ehler worked on a smaller canvas painting some beautiful flowers; from a photograph. I asked her about her technique and she said she usually draws the composition in charcoal and then paints. However; with this painting; she went for the paints. She had a flawless blue background and several large open flowers. We had talked about Georgia O'Keefe and as different as we paint from each other; both of us have been inspired by her work and both have done pieces in that style.
*
While I was using a regular Stanrite aluminium studio easel Jean Ehler had her traveling easel; which I really liked. I have a wood box Julian style one; but when you travel and walk a long way to paint; it does get quite burdensome. Ehler's new black easel was like a modern tall tripod which all clicked in to place and fit in a shoulder bag. Of course I had to find out where it came from. Yes; I will be running to Hobby Lobby on my next day off and finding this little gem! This will be perfect for "Through the Eyes of Art" show in Saluda Shoals; on Sun. Oct. 7th from 1-5PM.
*
Have a great Day;
Jean Bourque
*
About the painting: "Floral Fantasy" is an oil painting c by Jean Bourque on 24 x 18 canvas

No comments: