Monday, October 8, 2007

Some of the People that Made My Day on Sunday

I woke up this morning and I was thinking about all the wonderful people that came out to show their support for the artists at "Through the Eyes of Art" at Saluda Shoals Park. I am truly a people person. I want to tell you about some of the wonderful people I met.
*
I met art students from USC, Richland NE HS and Irmo HS. Many young people stopped, watched, asked interesting questions about my art process. I must say a lot of them are into abstract art and for that I am grateful. Although they were very interested no one in this age group, came into the jungle to see the view I had. Several adults did venture close in so they could see this view and share my vision.
*
What amazed me was a little girl, no more than 9 years old, came right up to the painting I was working in and asked about it. She wanted to know why I sprayed water on it and how I decided what colors to use. She came back several times to see the various layers developing the paintings. Each time she asked really in depth questions about doing art. She reminded me of myself as a young person seeing artists painting along the shores of Cape Cod and being totally amazed at their process. I turned her around and showed her the view I was looking at and she had an ah ha moment.
*
Later on while C. Aluka was in the jungle photographing the art, another little girl that was only 6 years old, came right in and asked if she could see the one I was working on. As she took it in her hands to really look at it; C. Aluka captured her love for art in two to three clicks of his huge Canon camera.
*
One young person I must mention is Sarah a student from Richland NE HS. She had admired my artwork and the colors several times and I thought she was a volunteer. I asked her to ask one of the other artists to come by my work area and she came back. It was then I asked her if she was a volunteer and she said she wasn't. So thank you Sarah for being a great friend to the arts and passing along my message.
*
Two other fun things; the flute player came to my area and played and the people that came by said they got there at the right time. It was wonderful. I also met the mayor of Chapin and he filmed me and interviewed me. BTW; I did not finish any of the three paintings, however, one is only an hour away from completion. The others are probably about 4 hours each. This is the start to a great body of work. I may have to go back to the jungle and paint there again!
It was a fun filled; people filled day. Thank you one and all! yours, Jean Bourque

2 comments:

harriett said...

Sounds like a day to be remembered fondly!! What a wonderful venue - I'm jealous!

Jean Bourque said...

Well harriett, maybe next year you can apply for the show. This year you were busy with two other venues. JB